Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bad Paintings Can Become...

... Good Paintings! Well, OK, not always, but sometimes.  We've all had bad hair days. I know my hair is so thick and my nights so fitful that I wake up and see one in the mirror every morning. What about a "bad painting day". C'mon, admit it. You've had them. The painting is w\awful but you don't admit it, at least not right away. Gradually you come to realize there's a reason it has been hanging out in the the box with the other questionable paintings and you decide it can be saved. It's a choice between saving or doing a 'paintover.' If you follow this blog you know I'm a big fan of paintovers. This painting was only half bad so I spent a few minutes turning it into a painting I have been wanting to do for a long time: soybean fields!

You might be asking yourself what's so special about soybean fields. Well, my friend, let me tell you! They are gorgeous in the right light and at the right time of year. In September they turn a dusky yellow gold that vibrates nicely against the green foliage. I have clear memories, aided by a few photographs, of what that looks like, so I gave my painting a makeover last night.

The fields around my house may not get a chance to be harvested, due to the severe drought we are experiencing.

Soybean Fields Forever
11" x 14"



No comments: