Monday, February 27, 2012

Snowy Plein Air

I like the way the ground looks when the snow is half melted. The contrast between the cool white of the snow and the earthy warm ground is a delight to view. I am kind of wimpy about painting outside when it's cold so I painted this little 6" x 6" painting of the view from my living room. I posted a photo with it so those of you who are not familiar with "plein air" can see the difference between what a camera sees and what the human eye sees. I am not saying I captured the scene exactly as it was. Of course I delete things I don't consider necessary and perhaps I embellish colors just a tiny bit. That's my prerogative, as an artist I mean. :) But I firmly believe the brush beats the camera lens if you're looking for a realistic view of the scene.





No comments: