Thursday, May 10, 2012

Plein Air at the Fair

Last fall a few of us went to the fair and did some plain air panting. It was very, very hot, but other that we had a good time. My friend, Ruth Ann, even sold her painting! Most paintings start with an idea. I wanted to do a painting of some female plein air painters -- that was my idea. I had a picture form when we painted at the fair in September so I pulled it out. Unfortunately there was a huge rope in front of one of the women so I had to use some guesswork to get her face in accurately. This made it more challenging but also forced me to lose detail, which is always a good idea when you are painting impressionistically.

I took just a couple pictures of the beginning process to show how this painting is all about the design and really not much about the people. Although they're both nice gals. :)




5" x 7" oil on gessoed Masonite

Plein air painting at the Fulton County Fair  




No comments: