Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Patriotic Pears 8 x 10 oil on canvas


Pears are just the most expressive fruit and I painting them. I especially like to paint Bosc pears like these. I enjoy eating them too! There's just something about pears. You can pose them like miniature people and their curves and expressive stems lend a natural grace to any painting. One of the pears in this set-up refused to stand up so I left it in a prone position. I posed the other two so that they appeared to be looking downward (at least they look like they are to me). The red and white striped tablecloth was begging for a blue background. I think the more I paint the more I see. Red and white reflections I might have ignored a year ago are very apparent in the skin of the pears. I absolutely love this painting.

No comments: