Friday, November 25, 2005

Pongo the Horse



This is a commission for a lovely woman I met through an auction I listed on eBay last month. She was bidding on one of my paintings and let it go when the price got too high. She liked the painting so much that she sent me an email asking if I might be interested in painting her daughter's horse. I've never painted a horse "commission", but it can't be too different than painting anything else from a photo. Of course, a lot depends on the quality of the photographs as you can only guess at so much. In this instance, Pongo has many spots. Some of the spots are covered by his halter and I don't have a view of the left side of his head without a halter, so I have had to guess a bit.
The key to getting a likeness with any animal is the eyes, I think, so I've paid particular attention to Pongo's eyes and tried to add some sparkle to what I am told is a 28 year old pony.

No comments: