Sunday, June 08, 2014

Plein Air Paintings

Tis the season! Warm weather and sunny spring days mean it's time to break out the easel and get outdoors to paint. I attended the first paintout of the season in Waterville June 5-7. The first day I arrived late and painted down by the river.

My first painting is a view looking westward down the Maumee River. I stood on a rocky riverbank and enjoyed myself.

11" X 14" oil on canvas


The second painting I completed that day is the Route 64 Bridge. It was built in the 1940's. The light was nice on this metal monster but I wonder if I painted it because it was a comfy place to paint; I was lazy and I didn't feel like moving my easel. I've heard the old adage that a good painter can find a painting anywhere but in my case I struggle. I like to be inspired and not have to make too much up.

11"x14" oil on canvas, Route 64 Bridge











No comments: