Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Dear Couple

Irene was a dear friend of mine for fifteen years. I met her when I first moved to this area and we became fast friends. She volunteered at a church where I worked and I have seldom met a more giving and considerate person. Her contagious grin and twinkling eyes were irresistible. She has been gone for almost a year now and I still think of her often. The family asked me to do a portrait of her with her late husband, Dwight, and I was happy to do it. They had one good photo that was not formally posed so I scanned it and enlarged and sharpened to see the detail better.

A real plus with a painting like this is that you can change the clothing and minimize signs of aging quite easily. We did not care for the shirt Dwight was wearing so I decided to use colors that complimented Irene's outfit.

11" x 14" oil on linen    Dwight and Irene



No comments: