Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Another Look at a Previous Subject

As an artist, we realize there are numerous ways to present a picture or design of the image we want to share. A photographer has the option of changing f-stops and adjusting the white balance or shutter speed. A painter can easily move a tree, leave a figure out or even change the scene from fall to winter. It just takes a bit of thinking and the knowledge of how light changes as it falls on your subject.

I was recently asked to re-paint this scene of my friend Becca watering her plant. The client missed the opportunity to purchase the original because he waited too long. That one sold within a week of placing it in my on-line store. Initially, I refused, explaining to him that it's not very interesting to me to repaint a scene exactly as I have in the past and it's actually a bit boring. He then wrote me again a few weeks ago and asked if I might not reconsider. He had fallen in love with the image and he didn't want a print of the painting- he wanted an original. If I wanted to change some things and make it better that was OK with him.

So I agreed to do a "rework" under those conditions and I'm actually glad I did. This painting is the same size as the original: 11" x 14", but it differs in a few key ways. It is a cooler palette, with cobalt violet and ultramarine blue in the shadow areas instead of alizarin and ultramarine. I used a slightly cooler underpainting of asphaltum as well and the result is a quiet, harmonious painting with lovely golds and violets. I changed her arm so that she is pulling out a dead flower and raised her head slightly. The background is a made up assortment of interesting foliage that stays where it belongs-- in the background.

Becca Watering Plants
11" x 14"  sold


No comments: