Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In Progress-- Troy Smith



I was wondering if I would have trouble with Troy's skin. I've never painted black skin before-- although this week's model at open studio is supposed to be --coincidentally-- a black athlete. I used the same procedure I use when I mix all my skin tones: I ask myself what color I am really seeing- if it's green I use it. If it's a violet I throw I paint what I see. Painting is like the ultimate puzzle. It's all a series of shapes interlocked together and it's up to the painter to figure out what size and value the shapes really are.
The background for this painting is just wild and I'm having a good time painting it. I'm almost finished with Troy. I want to list this one Thursday while the Woody Hayes auction is still running so I need to finish it tomorrow.

No comments: