Tuesday, July 11, 2006




Max Ginsburg
is an inspiration to me. At 75, he continues to paint masterpieces that delight and amaze millions. He survived the "dark years", what I define as the era beginning in the early fifties and running through the late nineties when minimalist modern art was embraced by the universities and galleries and academics were discounted. Dribbles and drips of paint, along with large rectangular "compositions" became the norm and realism was scorned. Finally the tide has turned and galleries realize that people actually prefer to own paintings that look like something. And Max is selling his stuff for record amounts of money.

A recent article in the July issue of The Artist's Magazine detailed Mr. Ginsburg's methods and they're actually pretty similar to mine (when I take my time and do it right). His cityscapes have inspired me to paint my own ruralscapes- the first of which I will share with you here when it's complete.

In the meantime, I painted a few other works this month. The Chief (right) just sold on eBay this afternoon. Banjo Charlie is a large painting inspired by a photograph by Tracy Kolenchuk.
I changed the model's location and gave him a banjo instead of a guitar, but otherwise he is the subject in Tracy's photo (and he looks like he is singing because he was in the photo.) The flag represents our society and the people in the background are looking at Charlie as if they can't quite figure him out.
I listed Charlie on eBay but I don't have high hopes that he will sell because he is just a bit too edgy for what the current element are buying.

The painting of Charlie is shown above along with a close up.

No comments: