Sunday, August 24, 2014

In Progress, a Painting with a Message

Here is a painting with a message but I'm not entirely sure what that message is. I found an old black and white newspaper picture of these diners. I was intrigued by it so I saved it. That was ten years ago and I recently came across a scan of it on my computer.

When I have to make up color I think it is simpler to stick with a limited palette so I used black, cadmium red light, white, yellow ocher and cadmium lemon to create this painting. No blue at all because I wanted it to be a very warm -yet not fuzzy- piece.

I changed the faces on the people. I changed a few of the positions. I added the waitress. I added some birds and I might still add some MORE things. It feels very much like a work in progress. I think I'll know when it is finished. But maybe I won't. It's been a fun project because I don't usually paint this large. Soon the basement studio will be complete and I will have places to store all this artwork until it sells. I am hopeful.

The Human Condition
Oil on linen
24"x36"







1 comment:

jimmie white said...

Very ambitious ...........looking good. Good candidate for the people and portrait show