Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Drawing for fun

Here is a drawing of our model, Ami, who I had already painted at the beginning of the month. I was feeling quite lazy so I sat down to draw. This reminded me why I usually stand when I do portraits and the model is on a stand. The perspective is just odd to me. Looking up, you feel as if the model is too "grand". I was sitting in pretty close too so there are problems of proportion to deal with. Things closer to you might appear larger than they actually are. It reminds me of the writing on my car's side view mirrors: Objects are closer than they appear. So if we are aware of it should we compensate for it? Or should we just try to make things appear as they normally would? A question I don't really have an answer to. I just drew it the way I wanted to. I don't put a lot of thought into drawings. Working in black and white is so much easier than color that I can let my mind drift off as I often do.

I listen to audio books when I paint. This week I am listening to the final book in the Stieg Larsson trilogy about Lisbeth Salander, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I find it sad that Larsson died before he could publish his books and see how popular they have become. I am not liking the final book as much as the earlier ones but maybe it will get better. I think tiny Lisbeth Salander is a daring heroine, almost an anti-heroine. She rejects society because society has rejected her but in the end she is unable to reject her innate humanity.

Ami, Pencil, 12" x 18"


No comments: