Friday, June 22, 2007

Miguel Hidalgo y Castilla 16" x 20" oil on linen





I think this painting turned out very well. The map behind him on the wall is only suggested and doesn't seem to to draw the eye away from the figure. The man himself looks calm and determined. I was not able to find any realistic paintings depicting Hidalgo in a complimentary way except one that was painted back in the 1800s. Others seemed to indicate he was some kind of fire-breathing avenger-priest with a sword. From what I have read he stepped up to defend the people he loved and because the people were in need of a leader. He was beheaded because of his courage but his campaign inspired others to fight for Mexico's freedom.
I think I need to paint Juarez now, and I will have the BIG FOUR of Mexican history complete.

No comments: