Thursday, November 09, 2006

Vaquero No. 3



This painting joins the other two Mexican Revolutionaries I have painted for Mr. J. Arce. At 20" x 16" this one is a bit smaller than the previous paintings. Not needing to model the features of his face as clearly due to the size of his head, I concentrated instead on the painting as a whole and placed him outside in a garden. It is still very evident that he is a soldier as the pistol is clearly shown, but the suggestion of the flowers in the background and the deliberate use of warm colors indicate a more romantic atmosphere. Quite a few people have told me they prefer this soldier to the first two just because of the bold color. I still like the first one best, but I think it's just a matter of taste.
I think they would all look awesome hanging in a Mexican restaurant and I believe I will order some prints and market them to one of the larger chains when I have finished the entire series. I know I will be painting at least one more for Mr. Arce and I could probably paint a few more to sell independently to come up with a total of ten. I would want to add a few senoritas though, just to balance things out.

No comments: