Thursday, September 21, 2006
I may have to do a Confederate to go with him as I really like the way this painting turned out. I worked from an old Civil War era photograph and used a rouge red ground and sap green underpainting. The board was coated with Gamblin oil ground which brushed on in a really awful way. I thought the board would be useless- then when I finally decided to paint on it I was shocked at what a beautifully smooth surface it had made. I'm glad I have a few more of these boards and it was definitely worth the time I spent in the garage sanding and preparing the supports. I wish I had done more than I did now.