Sunday, February 02, 2014

People are interesting

When my daughter was seven she told a fiend that she didn't like coming In to my studio because there were always so many eyes staring at her. I was just beginning to paint a lot of portraits then and to attend a weekly portrait group where artists worked from the live model. I would prop the paintings up against books in bookshelves, lean them against the wall or hang them on a temporary hook to let them dry. All the people seemed to be in the same pose, most often a three quarter view of the face. I rarely arrived early enough to get a straight on view of the model.

Yesterday we didn't have many people show up for our portrait group so I was fortunate enough to get a head on view of our lovely 14 year old model, Katelyn. 

11" x 14" oil on canvas 



No comments: